Welcome to the May edition of Fish Insights, where we’re finally starting to talk about everyone’s favorite four-letter word: OPEN. From restaurants and retail to beauty salons and home renovation projects, it’s looking like life is getting back to some semblance of normal, albeit a new normal. (We’re still under lockdown here in Northern Virginia, but I’m super happy for the rest of you. 🥰)
Restaurants & Hospitality
- The headline says it all: “The Inn at Little Washington Thinks Mannequins Will Make Social Distancing Less Awkward.” 🤣
- Next time you dine out, your waiter very likely may be wearing a face mask.
- Indianapolis is closing down streets to allow for more dining al fresco and social distancing.
Fitness, Health, & Wellness
- WSJ reports that safety protocols for gyms and fitness centers are set at the state and local level, “creating a patchwork of regulations and uncertainty.” So brands are taking things into their own hands.
- Epidemiologists say the lack of social distancing and “heavy breathing” make fitness studios extremely risky, so we may see more gym-goers wearing masks.
- As stay-at-home orders are lifted and people venture back out into the real world, many are expected to experience fear and anxiety. Experts weighed in on how to deal with it.
- Coronavirus put a half to a lot of things, but not home renovation projects.
- NPR answers all our burning questions as we head into summer, like will it be safe to swim in pools and can mosquitoes transfer the virus?
- The Washington Post says, yes, you should keep planning that indoor renovation project. Signing the contract now means you’ll be at the top of the list when things improve.
- Malls are reopening, but consumers aren’t rushing to return to shopping. Barron’s reported data from eight malls across several states — and the average decline in foot traffic was 75% YOY.
- Retailers succeeding at meeting the omnichannel needs of consumers — like Target and The Home Depot — sent stocks soaring. Here’s what experts say that could mean for the market.
- National retailers paid only 58% of their billed rent in April, according to TheRealDeal. That’s compared to 96% in 2019.
- If you’ve been wondering what it would be like to get a manicure once nail salons reopened, here’s your answer.
- A salon owner in Baton Rouge got creative, opening an outdoor hair salon to help customers feel safer.
- Spas are preparing to offer facials again in the age of coronavirus. Here’s what to expect, according to a celebrity aesthetician.
As always, we’d love to hear what you think about Fish Insights. Feel free to shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you love it or have ideas for how we can improve it.